Monday, July 13, 2009

7-4, Kishyges, Kecskemet

7-4

And a Happy Fourth of July to you all! No fireworks for us this year. We did drive by a sunflower field this morning. Acres of sunflowers point right at us. I swear you have never seen yellows that bright before. I guess fireworks are where you look for them.

We leave Kishegyes today for Kesthely, via Keckesmet. Leaving here is something that I do with a bit of remorse. I love the sincerity and work ethic of these people. I admire the simplicity and serinity with which they live their lives. That said, I couldn't live here. I don't have the required skill set. It is a beautiful place though. I'm glad, as always, that Z shares it with me.

**********

I've had this recurring fantasy of a K-Ha-3 commercial. Beaming female model-type proudly displaying bottle. Voice over: "K-Ha-3. Now with three times the Ha!." Reality is, it would never work. They don't use voice overs in commercials in Serbia. Sad. I could have made a mint!

**********

The amusing part of driving in a foreign country is you get to see the new and amusing signs. This mornings entry: the tire stores in Serbia are called "Vulcanizer." It fills the head with wonderful visions of a big machine that turns you into Mr. Spock or something.

We also went by the Tuning Disco again. Just a reminder, kids. Tuning is not a village in China, but it is a Disco in Hungary. Make sure you use the little box to be safe...

**********

We flew through the Serbian border, but the crossing into Hungary is taking a little longer. You get to open both the trunk and the hood this time - if you are lucky. The lady in the car in front of us is having a hard time of it. I'm guessing she just had her nails done and it is hard to open those latches...

I am glad we are not on the other side. The Northern German provences just went on Summer Break and everyone is going to the Baltic. The line is really long. And that's right kids, that means the rest of Germany is still in school!

**********


Up to Keckesmet to see Kazi, Zsuzsa, Kis-Kazi and Claudia. I blew most of my travel budget in the Kodaly store, which, after three trips, was finally open. Between the music and the Traditional Hungarion Cowboy outfit, I dropped mare than I should have. But come on. How many people can say they have a Traditional Hungarin Cowboy outfit? Still need to get the hat, but Peter promises to pick one up for me at the market in the fall when they sell such things. I'll need to get the boots at home. Should make a nice school outfit one day!

Kis-Kazi and I lead everyone and their cars out to Zsuzsa and Kazi house - always an adventure in towns without street signs.

Conversation around the table is enthusiastic, as always. As always, Greg and I are expected to participate. As always, the Metaxa makes it possible to understand more Hungarian than you even thought you know! As is the beer...and the wine... (Dinner was a Catfish Paprikas with mushrooms and the traditional pasta with curds.)
I love these people more than all of Z's relatives that I have met so far. They are very good at making you feel comfortable, and keep you involved in things. It was a very enjoyable visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment